Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I Have Super Powers!!


I have amazing super powers, I can be in two places at once.  Although it sounds impressive, it is actually a character defect that I’m working on correcting.  Today it happened so quickly I didn’t realize that I left my body.  I was driving my daughter to school, listening to her sing her favorite Taylor Swift song when my friend ‘worry’ lifted me right out of my body and took my mind down a far away road.  All of a sudden I’m turning into the school when I realized that I couldn’t account for the past 4 minutes.  My super powers had robbed me of that one thing I can’t get back, time.

My goal today is the same as yesterday, to start being present in my life.  To stop thinking about the past, stop thinking about the future and stop worrying about what is out of my control.  It’s kind of like the serenity prayer, “God grant me the wisdom to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.”  When I live my life by that prayer I find that I am present more often.  The momentary lapse of time disappears and I find that I actually feel the sun’s warmth through the car window, hear my daughter singing and feel my soul and my body connect. 

My latest super power challenge is how to stop my mind from wandering from my body.  I have found that for me stopping this mind trip before it goes to far is key.  I tell myself to leave those thoughts, leave those worries and take a big deep breath.  When I concentrate on the breath, I have to be present.  I then tell God my worries, my hopes, my concerns and leave them with Him.  You would think that the God who created the universe, who cares for the lilies of the fields and the birds in the air would be the best qualified to care for my life.  Yet, I find that by not being present in my life I am actually trying to do His job.  Not being present robs me of the joys that God has given me.  Not being present robs me of being there to witness my daughter growing up. 

Maybe this sounds extreme to you, but in my gut I believe that not being present robs God’s given joy from my life.  That is why my super powers really aren’t so super after all.  My working wish is that I could transform myself into being super present.

Xo Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment