Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Being A Compassion Sponsor Will Rock Your World

Fhone and her favorite gift...a Cinderella velcro ball set

Fhone and her mother opening the backpack of toys

Fhone took off down the alley to show her friend her new gifts

Fhone smiles for the first time at the Compassion center

Love that face!!

I owe my Compassion child from 15 years ago an apology.  I stunk as a sponsor.  I didn’t realize my ‘job’ as a sponsor and I feel like I let her down.  Today, I am going to do it differently as I sponsor Fhone.   Being a Compassion International sponsor is an honor, privilege and yes, a responsibility.  I didn’t realize the depth of a relationship I could cultivate with my sponsor child until our trip to Asia.  In Asia I saw firsthand how much the children love their sponsors and recognize what sponsorship means.  I also witnessed first hand that the children look forward to getting the letters and pictures and treasure them.  Most children save every single letter and picture they receive from their sponsors.  It may seem like very little to us, a letter is precious?  Yet, what I learned is that the letter represents all that the child has probably never felt or heard, hope. 

When you choose to sponsor a child through Compassion International, you are giving an at-risk child hope.  Hope that they can be more than they’re currently experiencing, hope for a brighter future and one they may have never seen or even dreamed about.  My hope and prayer for my 4 ½ year old Fhone is that I will be able to convey through my letters and pictures that we care.  I want her to know that our family is praying for her, thinking about her and believing in her.  I want her to know the same things I tell my daughter; you are smart, beautiful and special and I love you and so does God.  I want her to wake up and dream of a future and not just think about how she will survive the day.

If God is tugging on your heart and you feel lead to sponsor a child, don’t wait.  This is an opportunity that will bless you more than the child that you are blessing with your sponsorship.  You are fulfilling God’s call to take care of the children.  In Matthew Jesus tells us to feed the poor and give drink to the thirsty.  I never knew that we (you and me) would actually have a chance to fulfill that calling.


2 comments:

  1. Sponsoring is great, and when you've been writing a few years and you get that first letter she wrote herself ... Wow.

    If you can, write back as soon as you get a letter. I know I love it when my kids answer the questions I ask, so I think they must love it when I do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been sponsoring with my daughter since November, we actually became the sponsor of a little girl named Cyuzuzo on her birthday... we felt that in itself was a sign she was ours to sponsor, love and care for...and to show her how much God loves her too!!! We are truly blessed and honored to be a part of her life. I love writing and sending pictures to her. We hope that someday we can make it to Africa and meet her, hug her!!!! :) Thanks for sharing your experience.. We can't wait to hear from her for the first time!!!

    ReplyDelete