Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Aren't We All Just 'Misfit' Toys??

Do you remember in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer when he went to visit the 'Island of Misfit Toys'?  All the toys had things that made them just a little different.  They were still toys, but the car had square wheels, the elephant had polka dots and so on.  As Christians are we any different?  Aren't we all just a bunch of misfits looking to fit in?  I ask this after receiving an email from David, who at 17 feels like a Christian misfit.  His old friends say he's too "religious" his church friends say he isn't "religious" enough and he is left feeling like he doesn't fit in anywhere.

As I read his email my heart broke for him and also became angry against his youth group/church friends who were shunning him.  I actually don't fault his old friends, I believe that they don't know any better.  I do believe that his youth group/Christian friends should know better and if not, then why not?  I have no proof except my own life that we Christians can be a self righteous- judgemental bunch.  New Christians are sometimes the worst, at least I know I was.  You believe that life is black and white, because faith is.  Instead of believing that salvation is black and white and that we as people are the gray or better yet the colors of the rainbow in between.

I believe that our walk with the Lord is just that, our walk.  When we try to "fit in" with some groups of Christians, we're trying hard to please them so that we'll fit in.  I have been there, I have been the new Christian who wanted friends so badly that I molded my faith and walk after what I saw others do versus molding it  to whom God says He is and wants me to be.  Actually moving to Christian radio would be a lot easier if I would just mold to what is the 'norm' for a lot of Christian radio.  If I did Christian radio the way I used to hear it I would never rock the boat because I wouldn't have any strong opinions and I would never challenge me or you on anything.  How boring!!  It might be easier for me, but I know it wouldn't glorify God and who He made me to be.  I believe that making ourselves fit into a Christian mold strips us of our God given personality and convictions.  We start resembling a toy store where all the toys look alike and you don't care which one you get.  Who remembers the details of a molded toy or person versus the person who shows their cracks, flaws and what makes them unique?  I don't know about you, but I'll be the misfit toy that brings Glory to God by being authentic any ol' day!
xo Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Well said Melissa ...I too am on the island of misfit Christians...I'm the old beat up saved wretch under the tree....thank you Lord

    ReplyDelete